In short, by opening the Updates and Security window, you can search the system for new updates, apply specific updates, remove recently installed patches, start a system restore, and perform other similar processes.
However, the Updates and Security tab may not be available. This is a fairly common error in Windows 10, caused by damaged system files or other Windows 10 faults.
Fortunately, there are several solutions to fix the Updates and Security tab.
How do I enable the Update and Security tab in Windows 10?
- Run the control program for system files
- Sampling and error correction with DISM commands
- Edit your Windows 10 account
- Performing a system restoration
1. Launch theSystem File Check Tool.
- Type cmd in the search box and click Run as Administrator in the command line application.
- Type sfc /scannow and press enter.
- Wait for the scan to complete (this may take some time depending on the number of files stored on your computer).
- If problems are found, the troubleshooter should solve them automatically.
- Don’t forget to restart your computer at the end of the day.
If you want to know more about the System File Checker, we have an excellent manual for its use.
2. Scanning and error correction with DISMCommands
- Execute the command line window as described above.
- Type the following commands (press the Enter key after each entry) : Dismissal /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth; Dismissal /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth; Dismissal /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth.
- Close the command prompt window and restart your Windows 10 system.
If you want to know everything about using the DISM commands, please consult our handy guide.
3. Change your Windows 10 account
- Click on the Cortana icon next to the Start button.
- Enter the parameters in the search field and select the parameters from the received records.
- Then click on Account and go to Other user accounts.
- In the Other accounts tracking section, choose the Add account option.
- You must select Login without a Microsoft account and local account.
- Fill in the forms and save the changes.
- Go to the newly created account and see if you have access to the Updates and Security tab.
The problem may be related to a specific account. It is therefore advisable to create a new account, as from this point you will again have access to the Windows 10 Update & Security tab.
4. Perform system repair
- Press F11 several times during startup of your Windows 10 system.
- This should bring up the Windows 10 Advanced Startup Options menu.
- Then choose Troubleshooting.
- From here you can select Reset Computer (which should only be done if the recovery does not solve your problem) or access additional options.
- Click on the second entry and select System Restore.
- From this point on, follow the on-screen instructions to return your device to a state where everything was working properly. Be careful because you might lose some applications or programs (depending on the date you choose for the recovery process).
- Don’t forget: You can also select Reset PC to try to correct the update and security error. If you want to reset, you need to back up your personal files, otherwise everything will be deleted.
If you find the above steps too complicated, we also have a complete manual for creating and using a System Restore Point in Windows 10.
I hope you have solved the problem with the Windows 10 Update & Security tab that doesn’t work.
Usually this problem can be solved with one of the above Windows 10 troubleshooting solutions, without having to reinstall the system itself.
However, depending on your situation and the way you use your Windows 10 device, the solutions may vary.
windows 10 activation window closes,run system file checker tool,unable to open windows update windows 10,windows update page not loading,system and security not responding,windows security not updating,windows update not working windows 10,windows update not loading in settings,windows 10 download not progressing,latest windows 10 update stuck,windows update error 0x80080005,windows update error encountered 0x80070424,settings > update & security > windows 7,can t find windows update in windows 10,update windows 10 using control panel,windows 10 update location,windows update in control panel,how to apply security patches in windows 10,update and security windows 10 won't open,windows 10 network settings not opening,windows 10 update window closes immediately,windows 10 settings troubleshooter download,windows 10 settings not opening,settings won t open windows 10,open update and security windows 10 cmd,windows 10 security not responding