If you’re thinking about replacing the roof on your home, you’re probably feeling overwhelmed by the number of options you can choose from. Because of this, you might want to learn everything there is about the types available, more specifically, you might want to know how often you’ll have to repaint your roof if you opt for installing one made out of metal.
Fortunately for all homeowners that found themselves facing the same dilemma, our article below could help. Here are some of the most frequently asked questions about metal roofs, the benefits of installing one, as well as what you’ll need to do to maintain it properly so that you can ensure that it lasts longer:
1. How Often Should it Be Repainted?
Roofs will cover the entire surface of your home, which is why the expenses related to this task can get quite high. Because of this, you might want to know how often you’ll have to repaint it so that you can determine whether or not it’ll be financially suitable and logical for you. Luckily, you don’t have to do it every single year, instead, you’ll need to go through the process every 10 to 15 years, or in some cases, whenever the coating starts breaking down.
2. Why Does it Need A New Layer?
Another question that a lot of homeowners have is why they need to repaint their roofs. Now, to be completely honest, you don’t really have to do this, however, the coating will break down after 10 to 15 years of being exposed to external factors, hence, the tiles underneath it will be left bare. So, to ensure that the structure of your home isn’t compromised, it is best if you actually choose to maintain it every 5 years to ensure absolute safety and longevity.
3. How Much Will it Cost?
Now, you should know that the expenses will heavily depend on several things, including the products you utilize, the location, the quality of the structure, and of course, the size. In most situations, the expenses of repainting a 1.500 sq ft. metal structure will vary from 1.600 to 3.400 dollars. This includes the preparation process and the materials you need, as well as the cost of the services offered by the company you opt for hiring.
4. What Will I Need?
If you choose to go through the entire process by yourself, you should know that there are some specific things that you’ll require. For starters, it’s worth mentioning that you shouldn’t utilize wall dye or any other option that isn’t manufactured specifically for maintaining a metal roof just so you could lower the cost of the maintenance. Instead, you’ll most definitely want to opt for using the following products:
– Products Manufactured For Metal – we already mentioned that you shouldn’t use any other type of paint except one that is manufactured specifically for metal, but we didn’t mention the reason for this. By choosing the wrong product instead of metal roof paint, the surface will look pale and in some cases, even worse than it looked before. Thus, choose to use the right paint.
If you don’t know where to look for it, visit https://www.rooflock.com/metal-roof-paint/
– Sealants Are Always a Good Idea – if you want to, you could choose to use sealants, mostly because they’ll prevent moisture from entering the surface of your house – which can lead to rust, mold, and other contaminants. Thus, if you want to ensure that the structure of your home is safe, you should opt for using sealants. Keep in mind, hiring a company also means that you won’t have to worry about these things, mostly because they’ll already know what they have to do.
– You Need to Apply Enough Product – if you choose to do the job by yourself, one of the most important things that you can make sure of is that you use enough paint. Yes, it’ll be tempting to stretch the paint as much as you can, however, this won’t do any good to your roof. Hence, if you want to ensure that it isn’t dull and weird-looking, you should determine how much paint you’ll require and don’t try to be economical with it.
– Don’t Forget The Equipment And Tools – lastly, don’t forget that you’ll need to purchase various equipment and tools. Now, it’s up to you to choose with what you’ll paint the roof, however, we must mention some essentials that rookies often forget, which includes things such as old clothes and shoes, gloves, protective glasses, a helmet, and most importantly, you should purchase shoes that have anti-slip soles and a safety harness that’ll prevent you from falling.
5. Are There Some Benefits That I Can Gain?
No article on this topic would be complete without mentioning the benefits you could gain from it. For starters, you can ensure that it lasts longer. Yes, they generally have a longer lifespan than other options on the market, but this doesn’t mean that you shouldn’t take care of it. Hence, by repainting it when you should, it’ll last longer. Also, by going through this process – either alone or with a professional company – you’ll make it more sustainable.
What does this mean? Well, it’s simple to understand – metal roofs are incredibly sustainable when it comes to energy efficiency and by maintaining it properly, you can ensure that it stays that way. Lastly, but equally important, your curb appeal will be increased. This means that if you plan on selling your home in the future, you’ll be capable of setting a higher price and more importantly, the potential customers will love the idea that you took care of your roof.
Whether you already have a metal roof or if you’re thinking about installing one, you should know that you’ll have to repaint it every 5 years if you want to boost your curb appeal, and every 10 to 15 years if you want to ensure that moisture doesn’t enter the structure of your house.
By reading our article, you’ve learned the reasons why you should repaint your metal roof, the benefits you can gain, and the product you’ll require for the process, however, you didn’t really learn what the process looks like. Hence, don’t lose time and learn what you’ll need to do.